Wednesday, May 13, 2015

All About Pocket Letters by Tracy McLennon

Tracy McLennon is featuring our May Main Kit today with a Pocket Letter tutorial!

--------------------

You may have already heard of the new papercrafting craze that is Pocket Letters. For me it's part scrapbooking, and part a homage to my pen pal days as a child in the 80's. There are websites and Facebook Pages dedicated to Pocket Letters and bringing matches together.

You start with your match, and from there you decide on themes, whether it's a one time or continual trading match, and likes & dislikes for the goodies that come along with it.

Pocket Letters are a great way to use up scraps of patterned papers and embellishments. So when I was finished creating layouts with this months kit, I sat down and used some of the leftovers to create this Pocket Letter.


So what we all start with is a Trading Card page sleeve. You can pick these up at your local dollarstore, stationary store, or mega store.

Then you start creating, I look at each pocket as a mini scrapbook page. I love layered design, so I create layers of cardstock and patterned paper. Then I add embellishments.



The pocket size is just shy of 2.75x3.75. However for me, I cut my pieces no larger than 2.5x3.5. This is because I like such layered design and thicker embellishments. This leaves a little more room in the pockets for the dimension.


It's very free form, and I even find it relaxing. Because, often you are not working with photos...you just get to work with the papers and do what you would like. Not restricted really.

Once you have your pockets finished, I will often add washi tape to the binding area to make it a little prettier.

Then it is time to add the goodies for your swap pal in the back of the pockets. Just little goodies they might like, or to go along with your chosen theme. Then you are ready to mail it out!

Everyone loves to get happy mail, instead of bills in their mailbox.


Thanks for stopping by, and check out the new rage of Pocket Pals online, you could meet a whole new crew of crafty buddies all around the world.

--------------------

Please visit our Design Team Gallery to view more of Tracy’s beautiful work.

Here's the Main Kit:

For full descriptions of our kits, subscription information, and more, visit our website at MyCreativeScrapbook.com

2 comments:

Shawn Bernard said...

Beautiful and informative Tracy.

Unknown said...

Hello,
I'd greatly appreciate it if you mentioned my name as creator of this concept and linked to my blog for any design team work. Pocket Letters is a trademark protected name and concept. Thank you so much!
Janette Lane
www.janettelane.blogspot.com
www.pocketletterpals.com