Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tips and Technique Tuesday- Vintage Alpha's

Hi Everyone!! I just wanted to share a really quick and easy way to make some vintage looking alpha's...plus you'll get to use up some of your old stash. If you're anything like me, you have tons of half used alpha packs laying around collecting dust..lol

Here are the supplies that you'll need:
-Mod Podge
-Any kind of old Alpha's that you have laying around
-Glimmer Mist (I used Latte)
-White Acrylic Paint (or you could use Gesso)
-Distress Ink (I used Vintage Photo)

Posted Image

First I selected the letters that I wanted to use. You can mix up the shapes and sizes..even the textures can be different

Posted Image

Then I applied 3 coats of white acrylic paint to the letters (heat set them in between coats)

Posted Image

Once the paint was dry I applied some Distress Ink to all the edges

Posted Image

Then I misted the letters with Latte Glimmer Mist...you really need to saturate them...you'll want the mist to pool.

Posted Image

I then heat set the glimmer mist and inked the letters again...this time on the edges and a little on the tops. The more ink you apply the darker the letters will be.

Posted Image

Lastly I applied a thin coat of Mod Podge over the letters.

Posted Image

And that's it...it's super simple... and you'll end up with some cute vintage looking letters. Plus, you can make the letters match any project that you might be working on.
I used my letters to spell out my niece's names on some cute decorative tags that I made them.

Resized to 96% (was 716 x 648) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

~Melissa~

My Blog

Posted Image

1 comment:

Renee V said...

Cute technique, tfs!