Saturday, September 12, 2026

All the Fall Feels with our guest designer Wendy and the Main Kit

 Hello to all of my fellow MCS creators!


My name is Wendy Rasbach, and I was delighted to be invited to guest design for the 

My Creative Scrapbook team this month! Today I’d like to share the process I went through when creating my first layout using the fantastic September main kit.


I decided to have my design focus on a “peek-a-boo” wreath of fussy cut leaves after I saw two of the papers in this kit. I started my wreath by using the most basic scrapbook supply of all- a large bowl from my kitchen! 


I traced around the edge of the bowl on two white pieces of cardstock, and I made sure to center the circle on the first paper. I cut out the circle from the second paper. 


Next, I fussy cut the leaves, and I started placing them strategically around the circle. I purposefully put them so the edge of the leaf was over the line because I didn’t want the entire leaf to show. Depending on how little you want your items to peek out, you could place them even further into the center of the circle. Since I was spending a decent chunk of time cutting these cuties, I definitely wanted most of the leaves to show! 

 


I waited until I had gone all the way around the circle with my leaves before I started gluing any of them down. This gave me the chance to switch colors and vary the lengths of leaves as needed to give a more balanced look. If you’re not as particular (AKA indecisive) as I am, you could glue as you go, and it would definitely save time!


Once I was satisfied with where the leaves were, I glued them all down, and I put the second white circle over the top. This is where the “peek-a-boo” magic happens! You could make this wreath with all kinds of shapes - circles, stars, triangles, hexagons, hearts, flowers, etc. 

It might be a great opportunity to give some unused punches or die cuts a workout too.

Next, I moved on to backing the fabulous “Fall Feels” cut file that comes with this kit, and then I started auditioning layers to go under my photo. Another trick I use when I’m struggling to make a decision is to take photographs of each choice. Swiping between pictures of both options makes it easier to see what looks better to me. I wasn’t sure which tag I wanted, but the aerial view made the choice easy! I liked the color and shape of the first tag better for this layout.



One of my final decisions was to add a border to help keep the focus on the center. Instead of using the entire sheet of that gorgeous teal plaid paper behind the white, I just cut off four strips of the same width and glued them on top of my white cardstock. I didn’t want to waste a single bit of that paper, and even gutting it would use more than I wanted. I wound up using that teal paper on four out of the five layouts I created with this kit!

I really love the look of my finished layout with this wreath technique! Please let me know if you give it a try because I’d love to see your version!


Thank you for checking out my tutorial today.  I wish you all happy creating!

Wendy











No comments: