Sunday, February 24, 2013

Adding Texture by Sandie Edwards

My Creative Scrapbook Design Team member Sandie Edwards is sharing an awesome texture technique featuring our February Main kit!

Here's Sandie...


Today, I thought I'd share a simple process which I often use in my layouts to add a little extra interest and dimension.

1. Apply random areas of interest using texture paste and your choice of template. Allow to dry completely before moving to the next step.


2. Once texture paste is completely dry, colour in the rough surface left by the template. Yes, this is a little fiddly, but the results are well worth it. You can use a variety of mediums, but I find a water-colour pencil to be the best.


3. When all stencilled surface has been coloured, use a damp cotton-tip to lightly brush over the coloured areas. This allows for the colour to blend beautifully, leaving some areas of crevices from the texture paste to be darker. Hint: Do not saturate the cotton-tip, as the excess water will bleed down with colour onto your paper.


Someone recently asked me why I do not just add a colour medium into my texture paste. There are two reasons – firstly, I can never gauge how much of each to mix and more often than not I will require more medium, and cannot mix the same ratio’s no matter what! Secondly, applying colour with a water-colour pencil and blending, allows for beautiful colour tones of the one shade. Also, you can apply more than one shade to get an even greater scope as a background highlight.


------------------------------

Sandie Edwards
My Creative Scrapbook Design Team member

------------------------------

Check out more of Sandie's work featuring our February Main kit:



Please visit our Design Team Gallery for more layouts, cards, and projects from our designers!

We invite you to join us and experience all of the fun and excitement that we have coming for 2013.  Click here to find the My Creative Scrapbook kits.

No comments: