Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Creating with Claire using the May Main kit from MyCreativeScrapbook.com

 Claire Hawkins: May 2024 Main Kit

Today is a special blog post as I have 2 layouts share with you, made from just one design idea. For this, I’ll be using the May 2024 Main Kits. 

For my first layout, I used this month's free subscriber Cut file – it’s a beautiful film strip which I cut multiple times out of different patterned papers from the kit (Orange, Green and Yellow).  I cut 3 strips at roughly 7” tall and 3 strips in the same color roughly 5” tall.

A scrapbook page with pictures of a person and dogs

Description automatically generated

When I came to use them, I realised I only wanted two of the larger strips and one of the smaller strips. I turned off the contours on my Cricut machine and cut just the outlines again in white cardstock so that I could make the strips a little sturdier, raise them on foam and layer them to create a central anchor for my page.

A scrapbook page with pictures of a dog and a house

Description automatically generated


Once the film strips were adhered to the centre of the page, I took 2 photos mounting them on the colourful striped paper. I love this paper as it brings together all of the colours in the kit.  Because there are so many cheerful colours, I opted to print my photos black and white so as not to overload the page.

I offset the photos and stuck these on to the cluster of film strips, raising them only slightly on very thin foam.

A group of photos of a person and a dog

Description automatically generated

Then came the fun part – the embellishing! I used a combination of cardstock ephemera, chipboard, and puffy stickers to build three main clusters.

A close up of scrapbook paper

Description automatically generated

A close-up of a scrapbook

Description automatically generated


A scrapbook page with bunny ears and pictures

Description automatically generated

To keep the flow of the design, I placed my title down the left side of the film strip in amongst the cluster, using one of the phrases from the puffy phrases included in the kit.

A scrapbook page with a bunny and a photo

Description automatically generated

As a final touch, I trimmed the white cardstock down to 11”x11” and added a patterned paper border. I chose one of the bold patterned papers that contains all the main colours. It helped pull the layout together and add a splash of extra colour to the page.


And now….on to Layout 2!!


After completing the first layout, I was left with some rounded edged squares that had been left over form the cutfiles. They were just too good not to use, so rather than throw them away, I created a simple grid layout and I just love how it turned out….and it came together in minutes!!

A scrapbook page with a couple of photos

Description automatically generated

I alternated the patterns and colours, using both the ‘a’ and ‘b’ sides of the paper to create extra interest.

I placed the grid design centrally on the page and raised each square on foam for definition.

I used a corner rounder to round off the edges of my photo to keep to the design and backed it with a square of patterned paper, again rounding the edges for consistency.

A couple in love with a photo of a person and person

Description automatically generated

I embellished this with a beautiful gold puffy phrase as my title, layering it on top of some florals from the ephemera pack and sticker sheet.

A close up of a couple

Description automatically generated

In the opposite corner, I built a large cluster using a tag as my base. I added extra ephemera, chipboard and stickers to build the cluster and tied some white thread through the tag along with an eyelet from my stash.

A group of colorful cards

Description automatically generated

By using different materials, sticking some flat and raising some on foam I was able to add extra interest, depth and dimension to the cluster. It’s a simple technique but very effective.


A close up of a tag

Description automatically generated


I love how quickly this layout came together – and all from leftovers from my original design! It’s a simple layout but the mixture of colour, pattern and texture really packs a punch. I hope it’s inspired you to examine your leftovers and paper scraps – if you try something similar, I’d love to hear how you got on.  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and am so happy I could put my scraps to good use!


Until next month, happy scrapping!!

Claire xx


No comments: