Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Patterns and Layering by Tracy McLennon

Design Team member Tracy McLennon is featuring our September Creative Kit today with a closeup look at her paper layering process!

Hello all! Today I am sharing a quick little tutorial to try and get you thinking of patterned paper layers in a different way. We all love all those fun patterned papers, bright colours and different textures. But, we often get stuck in layering them in the same old way. Playing with some simple layering can add so much interest to your layout, and even trick the eye of those looking through your albums.


Here is the finished layout that I created using the September Creative Kit. As you can see I mixed and matched some patterns and embellishments and played a bit with different shapes.

Now here is base of the layout before I added photos and embellishments.


I started with the circle. I just took that sheet of patterned paper and chose the ring in the pattern itself that suited the size of my layout. I cut out my circle, and made a break on the left hand side, where the border strip is over top of it. Now take a second and follow the patterned strips along the page and see if you can spot the different ways that I layered them.

So the first thing I did was tack down the circle, you don't need a ton of adhesive, just enough to keep it in place. Then I took the word patterned strip. I started on top of the circle on the left and then went under the circle on the right. Then I took the teal polka dot strip. It too started on top on the left, but stayed on top on the right. Then the large yellow banner. It started under the circle, and ended up on top of the other 2 patterns and on top of the circle at the bottom.

From there I simply added my matted photos and embellishments.


I hope this inspires you to think outside the box and play with those patterns and layering.

Here is the September Creative Kit:

To see more beautiful creations made with the contents of this kit, please visit our inspiring Design Team Gallery.

For more information about our kits, visit our website at MyCreativeScrapbook.com

No comments: