Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Design Process with Embossing by Sandi Clarkson

DT member Sandi Clarkson is sharing a look into her design process featuring our July Limited Edition Kit!

Here's Sandi:

>>><<<

Hello, crafty people! Thanks for coming by today! 

Have you ever been working on a project .. for example, using embossing powder on chipboard or a sentiment … and then found that the excess that doesn't quite make it back in the jar leaves a wonderful design or color on your craft mat or craft paper? Wish you could duplicate it? Well, that's what I tried doing to enhance the background of my layout. The embossing powder is from my own stash but I'm sure that most of us have some, right?! 


As usual I worked with the lovely Limited Edition Kit and was so drawn to the neutral colors of the Kit! 
Here was the beginnings of my layout after I did some paper tearing, inking of the edges and machine stitching around the page. Next, I applied some molding paste using a stencil. I went with this one because I was scrapping a beach-y page and wanted the wave-like design. 


Next, I applied Versamark through my mask randomly on the page. For the type of embossing powder I was using, craft adhesive was recommended but I opted for Versamark instead. 


Then I sprinkled Dusty Attic's Rusting Powder on my layout and tapped the excess back in the jar. 


Because this particular powder "sets" chemically rather than with heat, I sprayed it with white (not malted) vinegar that I had poured into a little spare spray bottle. Then, all you have to do is let it set for about 15 minutes. 


And here is what it looks like! Cool, huh? Now,  I am very curious what other colors and types of powder might yield similar fun results.  That's my next experiment! Anyway, the longer this dried, the more intense it became. 


Just continuing along with the progression of my page, I dyed a portion of the white lace from the Kit with some Lindy's Stamp Gang Mist in Tiffany Blue. Using that same color, I used a paint brush to add some color to the top portion of my page and to my blue flower below as seen below. I collect all sorts of plastic odds and ends to put paints in. This was from an ink cartridge. 


The flower was not originally a teal shade, so misting it customized it for my design. 


I started building some more layers with torn pieces of paper to serves as my photo mats. I inked all the edges with Prima chalk ink in Dark Roast. 


I adhered my photo in place, tucking my dyed piece of lace at the bottom and underneath it. Then I concentrated on my main embellishment cluster layering the gorgeous pearl strand at the bottom. It is so feminine and pretty! The heart shaped shabby, resin frame from Prima was perfect for my wedding page!  These are frames are absolutely gorgeous! I inked the center of the large white Prima flower with some green mist just to change it up a bit. 


I added a few more flowers on the right along with some fussy cut one, sprinkled some mist here and there and finally added my title using one of the journaling strips from the embellishment sheet.  A dab of gesso on everything and I was all done! (I wanted to mention that the red flowers were altered with Lindy's Stamp Gang mist from the Limited Edition Kit to make them more coral.) 

Thanks again for coming by today and letting me share my process! If you haven't signed up for a subscription to the Kit of your choice, don't hesitate to do so! Pam always has the perfect eye for detail! 

>>><<<

Be sure to check out Sandi's beautiful work in our Design Team Gallery!

Here's the July Limited Edition Kit:

We invite you to join us and experience the possibilities that our coordinated monthly kits offer. To purchase a kit, please visit our website, here.

4 comments:

Maremi's Small Art said...

Oh Sandi ! This is great tutorial :) thank you so much for sharing your ideas xx

Lizzyc said...

The end result is stunning, beautiful layout!

Mycreativescrapbook said...

Stunning work on this Sandi , thank you

Lynn Shaffer said...

Wow oh Wow Great tutorial!