Thursday, February 21, 2013

Brick Background and Whitewashing by Nicole Doiron

My Creative Scrapbook guest designer Nicole Doiron is back with another wonderful tutorial featuring our February Main kit (this is our third post today- please scroll down to view the previous posts).

Here's Nicole...


You might have noticed that my 'Love Ride' layout looks a bit distressed. I wanted a more elegant and shabby chic look for this wedding page. I am not a pro at mixed media, but I enjoy trying different techniques and learning along the way.


First I wanted to add a bit of texture to the background so I used a brick wall stencil and some white gesso.


I carefully lined up the stencil where I wanted it and then put a fairly thick coat of gesso over it.


I then added some embossing paste.


Carefully removing the stencil, I then pulled out the heat gun and make the gesso and paste set to the paper.


I lightly brushed some gesso over the entire background, giving it a whitewashed effect.


After my layout was finished, with embellishments in place, I then went crazy (yes, crazy!) and covered all of my layout with gesso, except the picture. The messier, the better in this case!


It was a very daring thing to do as I could have completely ruined my layout, but luckily enough, I adore the end result. The whitewashing helped tone down the brighter colors of some of the embellishments and gave the layout a softer, more elegant feel.

Goes to show that sometimes, you have to dare to try! :) Hope you have enjoyed my little tutorials today!

------------------------------

Nicole Doiron
My Creative Scrapbook Guest Designer

------------------------------

Check out more of Nicole's beautiful work using our February Main kit:


Please visit our Design Team Gallery for more layouts, cards, and projects from our designers!

We invite you to join us and experience all of the fun and excitement that we have coming for 2013.  Click here to find the My Creative Scrapbook kits.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I agree, sometimes things work well, other times it might get thrown away or re-used for something else. I love your layout Nicole.