Thursday, December 27, 2012

More Mixed Media Techniques + Banner-Making Tip by Jodi Baune

Design Team member Jodi Baune is here today to share more wonderful mixed media techniques plus a banner-making tip using the December Main Kit.

Here's Jodi...


I created the background using the Brick Mask from Prima, coloring in lightly with Barn Door Distress Ink (Ranger) using a pouncer. Once the background was complete, I added my layers, tucking in the doily die in behind the photo.


The Birdcage was cut from Manila cardstock, then covered with Brushed Pewter Distress Crackle Paint (Ranger) for a bit of a distressed look. I adhered it directly to the cardstock background.


To create the outer frame, I measured 1 ¾ inches from the edge and trimmed with my paper trimmer stopping to go around the printed images of the music pattern paper. I trimmed around the bird and branches by hand with my knife. After distressing the edges, I added I thin, distressed green layer for color, followed by my red border die.


I popped the frame up using pieces of cardboard for dimension similar to a shadow box. Foam adhesive would work great in place of the cardboard,

To create the flower cluster, I started by deciding on flower placement. Next, I tucked in a couple leaves, followed by the flourish. Lastly, I tuck foliage in here and there for a bit of added texture and interest. Sporadic placement of Snowflowers covered in stickles finish the winter feel.

Cheery Lynn Designs Dies used: Bunny and Chick, Border Carnivale, English Tea Party Doily, Bird Cage, Wreath Strip, Holly Leaves, Holly Flourish, Pine Branches, Snowflowers 1, Snowflowers 2

--------------------

One of today's hot trends is banners. I have a quick tip on getting your ends even without creasing your paper. Post-it Notes! I trim my Post-it Note paper to the same width as my banner strip. Crease the Post-it and trim the ends to your liking. Now, place the Post-it to the end of your pattern paper strip.


The adhesive on the Post-it will hold it in place while you cut the end of your pattern paper!


Whaalaaa! Now you have a banner with perfectly straight ends and no creases!

Jodi Baune

No comments: