Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Step by Step Canvas Banner Tutorial by Shell Carman

Today Design Team member Shell Carman is showing us how she made her gorgeous Christmas banner using the October Album kit.

Here's Shell...

Hi ! This month the Album Kit comes with a cool canvas 12X12 sheet. You could make so many things with this but I decided to make a traditional christmas banner (EEK I know Christmas decorations already LOL!)


Start by taking the canvas sheet & folding it in half. Fold it in half again so you get a 6 inch by 6 inch square

Place the square so the fold is sitting along the bottom

Mark along the bottom 3inches in. Rule a line from top left corner to middle mark & right corner to middle mark so that you have a triangle


Cut along the 2 marked lines. This will give you 4 triangles & 1 diamond



Cut the diamond in half so that you have 6 exact size triangles. For my banner I only used 4 but you might like to make a bigger one

Now the fun part decorating! I started by using some texture paste 2 masks. I randomly applied the texture paste to create a pattern then left them to dry.

Once dry I used a red & brown mist & sprayed


You don't need to be too fussy as most of the background is covered anyway

I then used different pieces of patterned paper from the kit & some of the die cut frames, flourishes & buttons to decorate. I also added some stamped christmas angel images.





To tie the banner together punch a hole in the top left & right corner of each triangle (I just used a paper punch but a paper piercer or crop o dile would be better)

Take the canvas ribbon from the kit. Cut it straight down the centre lengthways so that you have 2 long pieces.

Leave a length of canvas ribbon so that you can use it to hang the banner. Weave the canvas ribbon in out of the punched holes. Tie the second piece onto the end of the first so that you have 1 long continuing piece. Make sure that the knot is hidden behind the triangle. Continue to weave through the punched holes until all banners are joined.

Take the red ribbon & make 2 bows. Stick a bow on each end of the banner

This banner looks so charming along your mantel piece or even on your front door!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this banner. It's so cute. I make lots of banners for my scrapbook layouts

http://everything4scrapbooking.blogspot.com/2012/10/cat-layout.html

but have never thought to make one is a home decoration. I know strange right. Anyway you have inspired me and I might just make of of these for Christmas. Thanks for the idea.