Thursday, September 15, 2011

How did I do that ... Coffee stain for your canvas

I am slowly building up my collection of mists but I didn't have the right colour to use on my Prima canvas so I decided to improvise! I often use strong black coffee to age lace or ribbon so I thought it might work well on the canvas, here is what I did...

You will need..
Some cups of black coffee made to different strengths, I ended up using 4 different strenghts to create my background.
An old clean cloth.
An old spray bottle, I have simply thoroughly cleaned out an empty bathroom cleaner spray.

Posted Image
Rachael


Posted Image

Transfer the weakest coffee into the spray bottle and apply your first layer of coffee, I used the cloth to take off the excess coffee and also softened off the edges.

Posted Image

Dry the canvas between each layer of coffee, you could use a heat gun but as I was working in the kitchen without my heat mat I went with the hair dryer, it worked really well and was very quick.

Posted Image

Keep adding layers of coffee in increasing strengths still using the spray bottle.

Posted Image

To add the smaller areas of more intense colour I used a paint brush to apply the coffee.

Posted Image

This was great fun to do and the finished canvas smells gorgeous!

Posted Image
Rachael

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Great tutorial Rachel :) thank you

Bente Fagerberg said...

This is such a neat idea and the lo turned out beautifully!
Thanks for the inspo!!

Jamie Harder said...

Very cool! Great tutorial!!

Unknown said...

Rachel ,I love your tip!! I am a great believer of making use of what I have at home.

Rachael Funnell said...

Oh Rachael!!!
This is FANTASTIC... What a GR8 idea will be given this a go real soon.....
Also LOVE your Layout!!! xx

Hannie C said...

Great idea! Good way to use my cup of coffee too.

li-bee-ti said...

Stunning! And what a fab idea; I must give it a try!
TFS

Anonymous said...

hermes handbags
golden goose
off white
kyrie irving
off white outlet
kyrie 8
hermes
bapesta shoes
jordan outlet
off white