Monday, February 16, 2015

Layout Tips and Tricks by Brenda Cazes

Brenda Cazes is featuring our February Main Kit today with a handful of terrific tips and techniques!

--------------------

Hi everyone!  Today I’m going to share with you some tips and tricks I used when creating my layouts this month with the Main Kit.



When I opened the kit and saw the Bella Blvd sticker sheet, the first sticker that caught my eye was the “I mustache you to be my Valentine” one.  I knew I had the perfect photos to use with this sticker and it would be perfect for the title.  However, I didn’t want to just stick it to the bottom corner of my page.  I didn’t think it was strong enough as is to be used as a title.  So, I cut apart each word and used the black letter stickers for the word “valentine” to really help draw the eye to the title.

Another thing I did on this layout (as I do on a lot of my layouts) is the pen-stitching.  I think it just adds a little bit of whimsy to a layout and you don’t need a sewing machine to do it.

For the red heart, I added the white lace that was included in the kit around the heart.  To do this, I used my tape runner around the back of the heart (just around the edges) and stuck the lace to it.  However, the glue will only temporarily hold the lace, so to permanently adhere the lace, I used my sewing machine to sew around the heart.  Hand sewing would work as well.



For this layout, I only had one “e” left on my black letter sticker sheet, but I really wanted to use them for my title.  So to create another “e”, I took a letter “c” and then cut the bottom part of the letter “k” off and attached it to the letter “c” to create an “e”.  If you look closely at my layout, you will be able to see it on the second “e” in the word “valentine”.  I find this happens a lot, and always use this trick to create an extra “e”.

When I finished this layout, I decided it needed a touch more black on it, so I cut 4 thin strip of black cardstock and tucked them under the red background paper.  Originally, I wanted the red square to look like it was matted with black, but the red paper was already glued down.  So I put the black strips under the red and was going to do a mitre cut in each corner so that it looked like I had a slightly larger black square under the red one.  However, I liked the look of the overlapping black strips, so I kept it that way. This trick is great if you don’t want to waste a whole sheet of cardstock just for matting or if you don’t have a whole sheet in the color you need.



For this layout, I wanted to create an interesting background.  So I used a heart punch and punched out about 30 hearts out of cardstock.  Then I randomly arranged them on my paper.  Once I had them where I wanted them, I used a temporary tape runner to adhere them to my background paper.
(This step is very important because if you don’t adhere them, they will move when you spray the background paper.  Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way.)

Then, I sprayed the whole background with opaque white spray – my favorite is Mister Huey’s Opaque White.  Then I removed the hearts and added the smaller pink hearts with pen-stitching, which were also created using a punch.  I felt the background still didn’t look complete yet and wanted to mat it onto the striped pink paper, but I didn’t have a full sheet of it, so I used the same trick as I did on the “Will You Be My Valentine?” layout and just cut 4 strips and placed them around the edges and mitred the corners.

--------------------

Please visit our Design Team Gallery to view more of Brenda’s beautiful work.

Here's the February Main Kit:

For full descriptions of our kits, subscription information, and more, visit our website at MyCreativeScrapbook.com

2 comments:

Mycreativescrapbook said...

I adore your layouts, excellent work using the kit, Thank you

Mendi Yoshikawa said...

Your layouts are adorable! Love all the tricks you used to stretch your supplies! :)