Friday, August 15, 2014

Creative Uses of Stamps by Guest Designer Wendy Antenucci

Guest Designer Wendy Antenucci is up today with some terrific tips for using the stamps that come in our August Main Kit! Here's Wendy:

So you're not a stamper!

When I received my kit there was the stamp set from MME included, now I don't stamp, but I didn't want to not attempt to try everything in the kit. Hmmm so what was I to do with this stamp set? As I looked at the stamp set I realized that there was a great leafy piece included and it looked just like seaweed! This was the inspiration for my layout Love this Life.


I began creating my seaweed by pulling my inks that were similar in color to the green paper in the kit and stamping multiple pieces. Tip: For better images place a mouse pad under your stamping area.


I then began fussy cutting each of the leafy pieces. This for my is probably my most used element and you will find some fussy cutting on every layout I make. I use a Fiskar finger knife which gives me great control.


I then began laying out my layout; I wanted a beachy feel and cheesecloth adds great beachy texture. I grabbed some that I had laying in my box that I had previously sprayed with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Wheatfield and pulled and stretched until it fit beside my picture in a way that I liked. I also tore my cardstock to give a cloud feel to my layout and soften the lines. The white cardstock was a little bright for what I wanted so I misted the top of the page with Prima's new mist to soften the area.


I then piled my seaweed randomly in a pile to match my picture. What do you think? Does it look like seaweed?


I added in a sticker on a stick to imitate the signs you see at the beach.


Some clouds punched with my Fiskar punch and inked with a light blue added to the top of the page to give the feeling of wide open space.


A few pieces of seaweed on the bottom of the layout to tie everything together. Don't be afraid to throw in pops of color to spice up your layout - the red wasn't at all part of my design, but it added energy to my page without clashing.


Have an empty spot but your layout is complete as a design? Add a few lines and journal! I added my sons age and a heart (pop of red) for a little more interest.

But, what if you don't have beach pictures? What else can you do with the stamp set if you aren't a stamper?


Use the leftover seaweed to finish up your trail of flowers forming a diagonal line and tapering the end of your design.


Here's another stamp that I chose to use as my journaling and again to add to my design without making it too heavy.


>>>>><<<<<

You can see more of Wendy's beautiful work in our Design Team Gallery!

Here's the August Main Kit:

We invite you to join us and experience the possibilities that our coordinated monthly kits offer. To purchase a kit, please visit our website, here.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I always enjoy your work Wendy, great feature!