Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How to Make Your Layout Pop by Guest Designer Lynn Shaffer

Guest Designer Lynn Shaffer is up today with a tutorial featuring our July Creative Kit!

Here's Lynn:

>>><<<

Hello my crafty friends! Today I am sharing my tips/tricks to creating a layout that will stand out with a patterned background.


I will be the first one to admit I love paper. I love using each and every last bit. I had left over pieces from my first layout created, and decided to incorporate my black and white picture with the printed black paper. The first step was to cut my black print patterned paper down to 11 ¾ all around and mat to white card stock. I then matted my picture to the green colored paper and inked the edges. 


I cut  2x2 squares and inked the edges black to make them pop. Take a look at how the color pops with the extra inked edges. 


To give my layout texture, I applied a light coat of Dreamweaver paste, and created a horizontal line of circles with the Studio Calico stencil. I knew I was going to cover up most of these circles so I put a very light coat. Using my heat gun dried the paste. 


The sticker sheets have wonderful journal prompts. Stickers at times can look very flat. I applied the sticker to the colored paper and with a my journaling pen traced the edges. I then cut around the edges giving a matted appearance. 


Once my paste was dry, I selected the best position for my picture and layered the squares horizontally on my layout. 


I also added circles for a little more appearance of depth. 

Sometimes a little can go a long way. Hope you enjoy this tutorial and I can't wait to see what you create! 

Have a fabulous week! 

>>><<<

Be sure to check out Lynn's beautiful work in our Design Team Gallery!

Here's the July Creative Kit:

We invite you to join us and experience the possibilities that our coordinated monthly kits offer. To purchase a kit, please visit our website, here.

2 comments:

Maremi's Small Art said...

Looove it, it's great technique !

Mycreativescrapbook said...

Awesome technique, Thank you