Thursday, May 8, 2014

Using Chipboard Element Negatives as Embellishments by Sandi Clarkson

My Creative Scrapbook design team member Sandi Clarkson is kicking off our May kit tutorials today! Have a look at a fun technique that she used with our May Limited Edition Kit!

Here's Sandi:

>>><<<


Hi there, My Creative Scrapbook fans! Sandi here with you today to share one of my design details using the fabulous May Limited Edition Kit.  Do you like the little window around my photo? Well, this is how it happened! 


As I started working with my Kit, I popped out all the Prima Princess chipboard elements so that I could see which ones I might want to use with which particular photos and papers.  I don't always do that but it just happens that I did this time around. 


After I did that, I glanced at the four squares in the upper right hand corner and "saw" a little window! Not realizing that I would actually want to use it, I just trimmed it out by hand.  Looking back, I might have been better off to use my guillotine trimmer but in the end it didn't really matter at all. 


I had this photo already printed out and some paper and flowers chosen. The May Limited Edition Kit had 3 packages of Prima flowers .. swoon! Heaven! 

But anyway, I placed the "window" over my photo with the backing still in place and saw that it looked pretty good. The little wooden bird icon mounted at the top was perfect for hiding my hastily cut chipboard. And the title piece along with some flowers would work fine for covering the bottom. 


Knowing that I could always re-pinrt my photo if needed, I went ahead and committed! Then I used my craft knife to trim away the excess .. focusing on my lovely bride and offsetting the windowpane just a bit in one direction so that it did not cut her right between the eyes. =) 


Then I kind of played around with some embellishments to make sure I was ready to glue this to the page.  


And here again is the finished project! It just goes to show you that even your scraps can make for a wonderful page! 

Thanks for dropping by the Blog today!

>>><<<

Be sure to see at Sandi's beautiful work in our Design Team Gallery!

Here's the May Limited Edition Kit:

We invite you to join us and experience the possibilities that our coordinated monthly kits offer. To purchase a kit, please visit our website, here.

5 comments:

Bonnie aka Cinnabon said...

Simply amazing, Sandi! I wish I had seen that myself when I punched out all the pieces on mine, I know I threw the outside piece away! :(

Marilyn said...

Fantastic idea Sandi....yes, I', like Bonnie I didn't see it in this way...

Mycreativescrapbook said...

Fantastic work Sandi!!

heavenly_72 said...

This is just gorgeous!!!! And what a fabulous idea:) thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Jodi said...

Awesome work Sandi!