Friday, May 23, 2014

Step by Step Layout Tutorial by Guest Designer Jodi Wilton

My Creative Scrapbook Guest Designer Jodi Wilton is up today with a step by step tutorial including a fun use of ribbon featuring our May Creative Kit!

Here's Jodi:

>>><<<

Hi everyone!  Jodi here today to share with you a fun technique involving the Creative Kit this month!  My inspiration for this layout came from one of the patterned pieces of paper in the kit called Family Rules! I absolutely LOVED all the little saying, and thought it would be really neat to have a layout that focused on many of these "rules". So I started by cutting out some of my favorite ones:


I then decided on base with three strips of paper across a white piece of cardstock (leaving about 1/4 inch border). I then sewed around the border on the patterned paper, to add some extra interest.


The next step was to add two thin strips of yellow paper, where the patterned paper meets, add a 4 X 6 photo (centered), and the title (add the red alpha stickers in the kit, and I fussy cut the word Rules)


Now for the embellishments!  I wanted a fun and unique way to use the red ribbon in the kit! I love using red, because I find it really pops on a layout! So i decided to use it as the backdrop for a heart. Here is how I created this embellishment:

Cut 2 inch by 2 inch squares. (You will need two to complete one heart embellishment). Use a heart punch, and center in in the middle of one of the squares.



On the other 2 X 2 square adhere two pieces of ribbon, that are just under 2 inches long.


Add foam dots to give the embellishment some dimension:



And the final product:

 I created two of these for my layout and added them to left side of the photo on my layout. I then embellished the rest of the layout by adding the words that I fussy cut out at the beginning at used foam dots to adhere them at the bottom of my layout.


I finally added the rest of the embellishments- stickers, die cuts and wood veneers for the finishing touch!  I hope you enjoyed the tutorial today! There is so much you can do with the kit!

>>><<<

Be sure to take a look at Jodi's beautiful work in our Design Team Gallery!

Here's the Creative Kit:

We invite you to join us and experience the possibilities that our coordinated monthly kits offer. To purchase a kit, please visit our website, here.

2 comments:

Mycreativescrapbook said...

Jodi, Awesome tutorial. Thank You !

Sandi Clarkson said...

So adorable! Glad to see the closes-ups because I think I would have missed that ribbon altogether!