Thursday, June 27, 2013

How to Create Pops of Color with Punch Negatives by Izzy Anderson

To view or purchase our kits, click here.
For our sketch challenge (deadline: July 14), click here.

Today My Creative Scrapbook Design Team member Izzy Anderson is here with our June Creative kit to share how she used the negatives of punches to add a fun pop of color to her layout!

Here's Izzy:

"Hello, everyone! Izzy Anderson here to talk about one of my favorite scrapbooking trends: using the negative of a punch. For this layout of my son zooming his truck across the shore, I used the negatives of a large circle punch (a smaller punch and a larger one).



The top layer of this layout is white cardstock. I punched one large partial circle at the top and two smaller partial circles at the bottom and right side of the cardstock. In each case, I allowed my punch to go off the page. This helps add a sense of movement.


The bottom layer of the layout is blue patterned paper from Echo Park’s collection, A Perfect Summer. In between the blue layer and the white layer, I inserted red woodgrain paper to show in the negative space created by the circle punches.


To give the negative punches a little extra depth, I added stitching along the edges.


Now I have the base for my layout. I tend to create this way: from the outside in. I almost always decide upon the base of my layout and make it first, then fill the rest of the layout with stuff in the middle. Many artists work the opposite way; they start with the focal point and work their way out. Here, I have placed the photos more or less where they will be when the layout is complete. Now the fun part: embellishing the page.


Here’s a close-up of the finished layout. You can see I have filled in the layout with bits of stickers and patterned paper but the red circles remain a dominant design element. I love the fun pop of color they provide.


Thanks for stopping by the blog today and letting me tell you a little about my process. If you’ve made projects with negative punches, you are welcome to link them in the comments. We love seeing your work!"


Izzy Anderson
My Creative Scrapbook Design Team member

------------------------------

Here's our June Creative kit:


Check out more of Izzy's adorable layouts using the kit!



Be sure to visit Izzy's blog, here, for even more inspiration.
Thanks for visiting today!

We invite you to join us and experience all that My Creative Scrapbook has to offer. To purchase our kits, please visit our website, here.

No comments: