Thursday, March 8, 2018

Photo Tutorial with Laura!

Hey there! It's Laura here with you today sharing a photo tutorial for a layout that I created using the March main kit!  If you haven't checked out the kits yet you really should, they are always gorgeous and this month's kit is no exception.


 This is a look at my finished page.


I love this gorgeous striped paper and wanted to use it, along with some pink cardstock from my stash as my background. I wanted to be sure to include the floral element printed onto the striped paper on the portion that I use on this page.


I positioned my photo where I thought I would like it and then used my ruler to give me a "visual" on the angle that I thought we be right for this page and photo.


 Next I traced along the ruler using a pencil.


This gave me a guide to hand cut along.


I was left with a piece that looked like this and I loved the direction that I was going with this layout.


My next steps were to do some stamping onto the cardstock, using the super pretty stamp set that came in the kit. I knew I wanted at least one of the butterfly images to look as if it was flying out from behind the patterned paper piece, so I held the inked up stamp just above the area that I wanted it and then pushed the patterned paper out of the way before I started stamping.  It worked like a charm!


Using Stazon, I stamped one large and two smaller butterflies.  I chose Stazon because I was pondering adding more to this area in the way of mists.   I will add a third small butterfly in this area before I decide to be finished with this page.


Once the stamping was done, I once again laid the patterned paper into place, but before applying adhesive, I tucked a fussy cut flower between it and the cardstock.


 I added some stitching with some plain white thread.


And then I ruffled up the edges of the patterned paper. I really like the bit of texture this adds.


Next I came in with some splatters of black ink, mine is by Mr. Huey's and is just something I have had in my stash for a while. You could easily use water colour paint, or watered down acrylic paint if you do not have black mist.

I repeated this process with some gold mist, too. Using Stazon for the stamping means the mists will not mess it up.  Another type of permanent ink would work as well, though.


While my background was drying, I worked a bit on my focal area, backing my photo with some patterned paper and dimensional foam, and then adding in a tag from my stash and a couple of stickers.  The yellow phrase sticker will serve as my title.


When I adhered my focal area to my background, I also took the time to tuck in some fussy cut flowers and leaves above and below the tag.


I added more fussy cut pieces on the upper right side of my picture and even added in another stamped butterfly.  It just helped to keep my page cohesive looking.


I find fussy cutting sort of therapeutic and kept going adding more to the bottom of my layout.


The embellishing all around my photo sort of reads as one element, the embellishing at the bottom is my second cluster so I needed a third cluster to complete my visual triangle,  I achieved this by tearing a bit of my cardstock on the left side of my page and tucking a bit of patterned paper behind it.  I added some staples for fun and another fussy cut flower.

My last steps were to add some teal splatters and some white Ranger enamel accents beads around my page.


Here is another look at my finished page.

Supply List - From the Kit; Simple Stories patterned paper and stickers; Hampton Arts stamp. From my stash: American Crafts cardstock; Stazon Ink; misc. crochet thread; Ranger enamel accents; Tim Holtz tiny attacher; Mr. Huey's mist and Heidi Swapp gold colour shine.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!
Laura
xo

No comments: